Based on the Labyrinth Lord Ranger.
Requirements: DEX 12, WIS 12, CON 15 (nothing else below 9) Charisma max limit 14.
Prime Requisite: WIS, CON
Hit Dice: 1d6
Maximum Level: 7 (in my house rules levels cap at 10)
Chem Rangers use the same xp table as Paladins.
In homage to 2000AD's Rogue Trooper this fighter subclass excels at battlefield survival, having been genetically (or magically or whatever) engineered to survive the most hostile combat environments with a minimum of support.
Most player character Chem Rangers will be survivors of destroyed units and other failed schemes and so may have unique moral perspectives. However their genetic makeup makes them likely to be very loyal to their immediate peers.
Chem Rangers have the following restrictions:
A drawback is that the Chem Ranger is obviously not from around here and may even be obviously artificial/non human having for example, blue skin, bearing corporate logos, a beastman* or even looking exactly like Rutger Hauer.
*See the excellent Rogue Trooper story arc 'Cinnabar' for some examples of genetic 'beastmen' that were less successful than the program that birthed Rogue.
Chem Rangers face the same restrictions as Ranger regarding possessions with the modification that a mount may be a personal vehicle. They prefer to carry light loads and are unlikely to carry more than four weapons.
Though Chem Rangers are disciplined they are not trained in the use of heavy armour. Light or medium armour only.
Chem Rangers cannot hire henchman (but may utilise portable electronic sophont advisers).
Chem Rangers have the following special abilities:
- Lifelong (however long that is) combat awareness and training gives natural AC of 7 (or two points). Light armour will improve this by 1. Medium armour may be worn but does not stack with this. Dex bonus applies.
- Chem Rangers receive immunity to all common low level toxins and bio weapons and advantage on saving throws against all others toxins, bio weapons, mutagens, radiation and poison etc, as well as against fear.
- Given a decent meal and full nights sleepChem Rangers heal 1d3+con bonus hp. Given lesser conditions they heal their con bonus after a pint of water and sleeping at least 4 hours (once per day instead of full nights sleep).
- Chem Rangers are able to track as a Ranger of the same level.
- At 2nd level Chem Rangers are surprised only on 1 on 1d6; they may surprise others on 1-3 on 1d6.
- At 3rd level Chem Ranger gets Uncanny Dodge. On a successful save verse area effect take no damage (only in light or no armour).
- At 5th level Chem Rangers get dodge missiles as a Monk (only in light or no armour).
CHEM RANGER LEVEL AND HIT DICE PROGRESSION
HIT DICE (D6)
Art credits, topa fan work by Liveforfilms and an obvious derivative of the iconic 2000AD Prog cover art. Bottom 2 images by 2000AD.
This is obviously a fan work in tribute to the baddest 'GI' that ever walked Nu Earth. No rights infringement or ownership intended.